Friday 11 February 2011

xyz and chocolate milk .


Calling all Webbers, Xiaos, Youngs and...Zhengs out there! Your spending patterns can now be explained thanks to a TIME business article. It notes one recent study which found that "people whose surnames start with letters late in the alphabet may be the fastest to buy".

And, apparently, of course, it's all to do with childhood. Kids at the end of the lunch line always missed out on buying chocolate milk, says the article's author Sean Gregory. As a comfortable 'G' in the alphabetised hierarchy, no doubt Mr. Gregory never missed out on his share of choc milk. So it seems, this is a defense mechanism...a survival technique, one with now dangerous (oh i exaggerate), or at least costly repercussions. 

My surname falls into that category, in fact, being a 'Z', it should epitomise it. So, has my inability to buy chocolate milk shaped the woman I am today? Probably not, no. Except, when I think about it further, I do notice a slight trend; I can walk into a shop, and by strength unbeknown scan the racks, and pick out a winning piece within minutes...seconds sometimes. And it's no rushed or regretted pick either. In other words, I'm no dawdler when it comes to buying.

But in life? I do aggressively eye the queues at the bank in lunch hour, keen to get to the newly opened counter first; I do tend to be the first to cross the road when the little man is still red; and shamefully, I do seek out the best possible standing or sitting room on the MTR.

Can I overcome the 'obstacles' faced with being a 'Z'? Should I attempt to defy the theory? I think not. I'll still try to get that chocolate milk, and in the meantime, I'll settle for these:



see's candies 'scotchmallow'



swedish hasbeens


tom ford's 'warm sable' lipstick

1 comment:

  1. My last name starts with a 'C', and now I realize that no, I don't really look around for standing or sitting room on the MTR!

    ReplyDelete